Being named as an Executor / Estate Trustee is an honour, but it can also be complicated and tedious work. Call Jack McVicar Professional Corporation at 705-748-2211 as soon as you can after the death of a loved one so we can help you become informed, organized, and up to the task.
If you are an Executor named in a Will, we can help you:
- Secure the original Will
- Review the contents of the Will
- Determine whether “Probate” – the process where the Court validates a Will – is necessary
- Apply to the Court for a “Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee”
- Calculate and pay the Estate Administration Tax
- Confirm and account for the assets of the Estate
- Deal with the debts of the Estate
- Distribute the assets of the Estate according to the directions of the Will
- Understand the other tax and information filings that the Estate must make to the government
- Determine and calculate your compensation for being the Executor
- Understand your role and duties as the Executor / Estate Trustee
If your loved one passed away without leaving a Will, their Estate will be distributed according to a provincial law. It is possible to apply to the Court for a “Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee” even if no Will exists. If your loved one died without leaving a Will, we can help you confirm that there was no Will and assist you with applying for a Certificate of Appointment and acting as the Executor or Estate Trustee.
Call Jack McVicar Professional Corporation at 705-748-2211.